7/25/12

Bijan Men (Bijan)



I once posted my C.V. online and received an immediate reply from a man who claimed I fit the profile for an available position, and if I didn't mind the drive from Connecticut to White Plains, NY, he'd be willing to interview me tomorrow. I asked him what the position was, and he was very vague about it, saying "It's an integral role in our in-house marketing department, which is focused on giving our business the broadest visibility possible." I figured, what do I have to lose? So I went down there the next day, waited for an hour in the lobby, and was finally greeted by a 30-something cheeseball in a plaid suit. He led me through a surrealistic maze of windowless corridors, along which was situated his unfurnished office. He invited me to sit, so I sat. The first words out of his mouth were, "Are those your references?" To which I replied, "Actually, no. This is my portfolio. You do realize I'm a graphic design grad, right?"

His face went blank. Without another word, he stood up, opened his door, and ushered me out. He wished me good luck, spun on his spit-and-polished shoes, and disappeared back into his office. True story.

Having smelled the contents of this obnoxious glass donut, I'm now positive the company he fronted was whatever haphazard concern is responsible for Bijan Men.

















2 comments:

  1. Ha ha ha!! Hilarious review! For the longest time I felt exactly the same way about this beast. It was one of the first frags I ever bought for myself (circa 1993), and because I over applied it, I quickly learned to hate it. My wife used to tell me I smelled like a cheap prostitute when I wore it (she used to say the same thing when I wore Canoe).

    A few years ago I decided to give it a second chance, not having worn it in about 15 years. I learned how to apply it (i.e., sparingly), and now I really enjoy Bijan as a woody chypre powerhouse that I have to be very careful in wearing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's interesting, and I wonder how Canoe could ever be construed as a hooker's perfume(?)

      This really isn't for me. I did the sparing application thing, and tried hard to find one redeeming quality, but to me it just smells like hot vinyl - like a raincoat someone left in a sun-punished car. Okay if it were a $200 niche frag called "Vinalesque."

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible after approval by the moderator.