3/28/15

Buicks And Bleu de Chanel EDP


Finally took a picture of my car!

I've been a bit busy this month. The winter of 2015 will forever be on my shit list, because it killed my 2001 Pontiac Sunfire, a car that I really liked and enjoyed driving for the better part of ten years. It had a good transmission and a surprisingly roomy interior, with decent pickup for a four-banger, and a nice automatic sunroof that I'll miss. The unrelentingly frigid temperatures finally had their way with the heater core and head gasket, which forced me to look for a new vehicle. Which I found rather quickly, as you can see above.

I traded up on the GM ladder and went for a car that I've always loved, an eighth generation Buick LeSabre Custom. Whenever I see these things in parking lots I stop and drool, and given that I desperately needed a car on very short notice, and a local garage just happened to have a LeSabre with very low miles (and at a great price), lemons became lemonade. Maybe it's revenge for how the universe robbed me of my beloved 1985 Chrysler Fifth Avenue, or the car gods finally gave me a break after cycling me through two Cavaliers (the Sunfire is just a rebranded Cavalier), but I had to have this car, and now that I do, I love it even more than I thought I would.

It's big. Really, really fucking big. It doesn't look quite that big on the outside, but it's a 16 footer and a six-seater with enough trunk space to fit two adult bodies, with room to spare. These big romantic American cars are like catnip to me. We tend to screw up on most things, but when it comes to cars, America is where it's at. Sorry, Europe and Asia. You can keep your Opals and Peugeots and Toyotas and Suzukis. Don't care for 'em. Maybe having an 18 gallon gas tank and a hood the size of an air hockey table is impractical and more than a little dumb. I don't care. Big cars are hot.

Anyway, on to Bleu de Chanel EDP. What can I say? This fragrance smells amazing. The EDT is rather Chevrolet, but the Parfum is a Buick. Maybe even a Caddy. I'm still not wild about this fragrance, but I do like the EDP quite a bit. It's very, very similar to the EDT, but it's richer, smoother, deeper, and a little more dynamic, with a very shimmery, almost Creed-like ginger/citrus/labdanum top accord that shifts effortlessly into an ambery incense that goes on for hours, and smells incredible.

Why does it smell better than the EDT when it's basically the same composition? Maybe it's the richer labdanum note that clinches it, along with a more lucid ginger, and juicier citrus notes. It's pretty much the original BdC, now in digital surround sound. There's pink pepper in there also, and what smells like a faint hint of rose, sweet and almost boozy, which makes it more unisex, something I might prefer on a woman.

In any case, if I can ever afford another bottle of perfume again, I'll try and make it a bottle of BdC EDP. The EDT is a compliment mill, so I imagine the EDP will really drive 'em wild. Bravo, Chanel. Keep up the good work!




6 comments:

  1. Like you, I'm a fan of these American Beauties. My current ride is a 2005 Le Sabre. It was preceded by a Cadillac and a Buick Park Avenue. Frankly, though, I'm old school in most of my interests, including the big swaggering fragrances of the 60s-80s. Enjoy the Buick, but watch the transmissions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The park avenue is another beauty. I've heard the solenoids can be problematic, and the fluid may need freshening, but otherwise good transmissions. Can't drive it like a Pontiac though. Have you experienced consistent transmission issues? BTW, do you have a Custom or Limited Le Sabre?

      Delete
    2. I have the Custom (cloth seats). Alas I had to replace the transmission on the Buick last year, but I have a sizable daily commute plus lots of travel for my job (typically 100 mi or more per day) so I may place more stress on these than most. Just be sure to service them and they run forever. My Park Ave had 166,000 miles when I sold it, and I have 119,000 on the LeSabre. They're just a joy to drive. And yes, I've owned Datsuns, Toyotas, 2 Hondas - there's no comparison in style and comfort.

      Delete
    3. Definitely no comparison between the style of American full-size cars and foreign cars. Never liked Honda or Nissan and have a passing appreciation at best for Subaru (used to drive the 80s models back in high school), and a friend has a rare Datsun Z that is kind of cool looking but junk now . . . Dunno, I guess stylish cars are something we do well. Thanks for the warning on the trans though, I'll keep it in mind.

      Delete
  2. Bryan, Congratulations on your acquisition! I had the pleasure of driving a Buick LeSabre Limited from 2005 until just about a month ago, when I sold it at at 220,000 miles. A wonderfully reliable, comfortable car with all with all the creature comforts I wanted/needed.Hopefully it will be trouble-free for you (mine was, for the most part, except over the last year or so). If you encounter anything and want to ask about experiences from a long-time owner, keep my email address: tropicaldaze4u **at** yahoo.com. Good luck and thanks for the wonderful blog! ~Daniel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daniel, the Limited is a stunning vehicle, I hope you'll drive another in the future as a show car! I'll be in touch, and thanks for reading!

      Delete

Thank you for your comment. It will be visible after approval by the moderator.