2/1/24

Rose Prick (Tom Ford)


The double entendres
that are Tom Ford's fragrance names are funny. "Rose Prick" can mean you got stabbed by a flower or a randy dude, depending on how you interpret it. Today I submit a third meaning: a prick created this overpriced rose perfume. 

Rose Prick (2020) smells like black pepper, turmeric - yes, turmeric - and roses in the top note. I'd be lying if I said I get much turmeric, though there is a touch off the very top, which is nice. But the fragrance, to my nose at least, smells very much like Ford having his revenge on Armaf by cloning them back; after the Arabian firm copied Noir de Noir (2007) with Club de Nuit Intense (2013), Ford waited a bit and then did them one better. RP has a fuller and more satisfying interplay between rose and patchouli, and it all feels even more costume-showy than CdNI, which may appeal to today's aspiring metrosexual.

Still, it pisses me off. As basic and approachable as it is, for the money it's a complete waste, and its vulgar flourishes make it a little too difficult for me to pull off. Let me put it this way, I'm infinitely more comfortable wearing Perfumer's Workshop Tea Rose EDT than Rose Prick. But hey, if you're looking for high camp in stiletto heels, this is for you.