3/10/24

Replica Lazy Sunday Morning (Maison Margiela)



Lazy Sunday Morning advertises itself as being the smell of clean morning sheets and the fresh weekend air drifting on a warm breeze. I smell sweet orange blossom and a sort of transparent laundry musk, rather simple and direct. This fragrance opens with a crisp, silky feel, the first Margiela perfume to smell expensive out of the gate. Jazz Club and By the Fireplace were nice, but too linear for my liking, so I had high hopes for Lazy Sunday Morning. I wanted it to really perform (it lasts twelve hours).

It turns out that LSM is also incredibly linear, yet somehow I don't mind. Its transparent orange blossom is so pleasant and cheerful that I actually don't want it to change. There's also a quiet backing note of lily of the valley, which softens and greens-up the floral lilt just a little. I wore it out on a rainy day, and its freshness seemed to bring sunshine to the dank grayness around me. Orange blossom is an interesting note in that regard, a floral kiss of sweetness rounded off by a whisper of indole, with a ghost of orange zest loitering in the wings. As a fan of florals, I tend to gravitate towards anything that captures at least one flower's essence with some panache, and Lazy Sunday Morning succeeds. 

Is it full-bottle worthy? Eh, maybe, but I'm not sure I see myself buying any of the Margielas, at least not yet. While it smells good and it's definitely well made, it's another victim of its price-point. I don't see myself dropping the bucks for something I could get for less, and there's no doubt I could find another comparable orange blossom scent for half the price. Plus there are ethnic grocery stores in all the big cities that sell orange blossom water for about eight bucks, and I still have to do my shopping for the week.