7/11/24

Soleil Blanc (Tom Ford)

This is one of those "suntan lotion" perfumes. It supposedly contains Egyptian jasmine, benzoin, cardamom, Tahitian gardenia, ylang-ylang, coconut milk, monoï, sandalwood, bleh, bleh, whatever. Fragrances like this one conjure the question: what do you get if you put Coppertone through GCMS analysis? Do you get constituent parts of that globally-recognized accord of white florals and woody-musks? If so, what do you do with it?

Remake it with luxury-grade materials, that's what. And that's exactly what Nathalie Gracia-Cetto did, spinning from the dried vinyl of this played-out theme yet another fancy-pants beach scent. I'll be honest, I actually like how it smells, with its lilting citrus-fizz top note and the endearingly gentle florals that follow, and I'd be remiss to call it anything but an olfactory success. Its coconut never gets overbearing, its musk never too sweet, and Soleil Blanc winds up smelling like quite a sexy little summer spritz. 

Sometimes the person makes the perfume, and I really think Ford's concept begs for the skin of a beautiful woman lounging on a yacht somewhere on the Mediterranean. It holds the potential to jump from a pier of UV skin protection into a lagoon of skin flicks. But on its own, on my person, having worn it for a day and refreshed it on my wrist, I'm utterly and unremittingly bored by it, and see no reason to drop my dollar here.